2018 BMW K 1600 Grand America First Look
BMW goes Captain America for their latest long-distance luxury hauler.
Bavaria’s finest have taken the wraps off their latest long distance mile muncher in the K 1600 Grand America at the EICMA Show in Milan, today.
Powered by the same 1600cc, 160 hp six-cylinder motor and chassis platform as the K 1600 B that we tested here, BMW has given the new Grand America various bodywork changes like a taller screen and new side cases with integrated lights, new exhaust mufflers, and a new top case with a passenger backrest.
You’ll still get BMW’s Dynamic ESA, Reverse Assist, Shift Assist Pro and the plethora of BMW navigation and entertainment features with the Grand America, although an interesting feature is this model is limited to 101mph, which BMW says is based on the principle of “The American Way of Riding”. Whatever that means.
An overview of highlights of the new BMW K 1600 Grand America from BMW:
- Authentic, harmonious design with dynamically elongated sideline that slopes to the rear.
- Top-case with integrated passenger backrest and additional transport capacity for particularly long trips.
- Side cases and top-case with integrated lighting units.
- Optional Style Package with a two-color finish in Blackstorm metallic / Austin Yellow metallic.
- 6-cylinder in-line engine that meets EU4 requirements with an output of 118 kW/160 hp at 7 750 rpm and a maximum torque of 175 Nm at 5 250 rpm.
- Top speed limited to 162 km/h or 101 mph.
- Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with damping modes “Road” and “Cruise” as standard.
- Reverse assist for effortless maneuvering as standard.
- Effective weather protection due to the particularly high windshield.
- Low rear frame, passenger seat reduced by 70 millimeters and ergonomically adapted footrest position.
- Footboards for relaxed “feet forward” rider seating position as standard.
- Footboards available for the passenger as Original BMW Motorrad Accessory.
- Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without clutch activation as an ex-works option.
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex-works option for rapid assistance in an accident or emergency (only available in European markets with ConnectedDrive capability).
- Standard equipment also includes engine protection bars, ABS Pro, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, xenon headlight, heated grips, seat heating, Multi-Controller, three riding modes (Rain, Road, Dynamic), cruise control, audio system with navigation preparation.
- A diverse range of optional equipment items (adaptive turning light, daytime riding light, Keyless Ride, Hill Start Control, central locking etc.).