Yamaha introduced the world’s first electrically power-assisted bicycle in 1993. Today, they are announcing their first-ever Class 3 e-bike to the US market. A class 3 electric bicycle provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that assistance up to 28 miles per hour. Here is the Yamaha Bicycles Civante First Look.
The new Yamaha Civante is a drop-bar “Road Bike” aimed at experienced bicycle riders looking to make their rides easier or use it as an alternative to driving a car. It includes four power modes that range from 50% to 280% of assistance over the rider’s power input. It has max torque of 70Nm and will aid up to 110 of cadence (pedal rpm). The Civante has a 10-speed drive train with a double front chainring (20 gears options) with Shimano STI shifters and hydraulic disc. It rolls on 35mm e-bike rated tires mated to mid-depth aerodynamic wheels with 12mm thru axle hubs.
Below is the full release from Yamaha:
CYPRESS, Calif. – July 8, 2020 – Yamaha Bicycles is launching the new Civante Class 3 electric power assist bicycle this summer, expanding its lineup of fitness-focused road bikes. The Civante’s stylish drop bar design and exceptional handling offer another level of performance in Yamaha’s proven e-Bike lineup by providing smooth, natural and powerful assist up to 28 mph.
Yamaha, the pioneering leader in e-Bikes, launched the world’s first electrically power assisted bicycle in 1993, and is the only manufacturer with 27-years of experience designing complete e-Bikes from frame to motor. The Civante is Yamaha’s first U.S. model offered in the Class 3 category.
“The Civante will introduce a new group of riders to Yamaha’s legendary quality, comfort and performance and increases and diversifies our retail options,” said Drew Engelmann, Yamaha’s Power Assist Bicycle group sales and marketing manager. “The Civante looks great, feels smooth and comfortable, and delivers the cutting-edge handling dynamics and seamless integration of assist technology that Yamaha does better than anyone else.”
The Civante gets its power assist from Yamaha’s PWSeries SE motor, which delivers the purest, smoothest and most natural e-Bike assist feeling thanks to Yamaha’s Triple Sensor System. Utilizing frictionless sensors, the system measures pedal-torque, bicycle speed and crank arm cadence, and then delivers just the right amount of assist based on changing terrain and riding situations.
From wheel to wheel, the Civante is a drop bar bicycle that will make a daily commute, fitness ride, or weekend adventure an enjoyable experience. Key features include:
- Center-mounted PWSeries SE Motor seamlessly integrated into the chassis and delivering four levels of smooth power assist.
- Class 3 power assist up to 28 mph, with up to 70Nm of max torque, and cadence support up to 110 rpm.
- Long-lasting 500-watt-hour Lithium-ion battery pack with versatile charging options (on or off the bicycle) with Yamaha’s high-speed charger (charges from 0-80 percent in approximately one hour).
- Multi-function LCD display with Bluetooth app compatibility and a clear, bright readout showing assist modes, speedometer, odometer, trip meter, battery capacity, clock, stopwatch, diagnostics and more.
- Ergonomic drop handlebar design for multiple riding positions to deliver optimal efficiency and control, and extra padding wrapped in cork bar tape for vibration damping comfort.
- Built-in convenience features including an LED front headlight, prewiring for Yamaha’s rear rack with integrated taillight, and rack and fender kit mounts.
- Yamaha aluminum frame and fork with integrated housing and cable routing for a sleeker look and better protection from the elements.
- E-Bike rated tires featuring reflective sidewalls and smooth tread with exceptional protection from flats built into the casing.
- Mid-depth aerodynamic wheels with strong 12mm thru axle hub designs for maximum control and confidence when cornering.
- Durable 10-speed drive train, double chainring, Shimano STI shifters and hydraulic disc brakes.
The new Yamaha Civante will be available this summer in a crisp Polar White color scheme with an MSRP of $3,399. The Civante will feature a three-year warranty on the drive unit, 500-watt-hour battery, controller, display and frame.
Yamaha Power Assist Bicycles is part of the Smart Power Vehicle Division of Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA. The Yamaha Bicycles lineup includes a variety of power assist bicycles for fitness, fun, commuting and serious recreation. View Yamaha’s full line of Power Assist Bicycles at www.YamahaBicycles.com and find a local retailer at Yamaha’s dealer locator. See future Yamaha Bicycle models at: https://www.yamahabicycles.com/future-ebikes/
Follow Yamaha Bicycles for more information, photos and videos at www.instagram.com/YamahaBicycles, www.facebook.com/YamahaBicycles, www.twitter.com/YamahaBicycles. #YamahaCivante and #YamahaBicycles