Photography by Gold & Goose
Sylvain Guintoli overcame typically hot and humid conditions at Sepang International Circuit to earn Superpole for Sunday’s pair of World Superbike races in Malaysia. Guintoli ran a 2:03.002 on his factory Aprilia RSV4. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) and Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team) scored front row starts alongside Guintoli.
Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma Aprilia), Marco Melandri (Aprilia Racing Team) and an unlucky Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team), who crashed on the final corner while on a potential pole-winning lap, will make up row two tomorrow’s 16-lap races.
Topping the EVO category was David Salom who qualified 12th overall on his Kawasaki.
The trophies for Saturday’s Tissot-Superpole were presented to the top three riders by five-time 500cc World Champion and racing icon Mick Doohan.
“The weekend’s gone really well, almost perfect so far,” said Guintoli, who scored his fourth-career Superpole. “It’s tomorrow that counts. We’ve worked out for tomorrow. I’ve been training really hard the last ten days in the heat, so I feel good. Actually I felt better with the race tire than the qualifier, so I’m happy. The RSV4 is working so well here. In the past it has not been possible to use the full power of the bike so I’m really looking forward to it.”
The Americans Geoff May and Aaron Yates qualified at the rear of the grid on their EBRs.
This weekend marks the debut for World Superbikes at the Sepang Circuit.
WSBK Sepang: Superpole qualifying results – June 7, 2014
1. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 2m 03.002s
2. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 2m 03.108s
3. Davide Giugliano ITA Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 2m 03.137s
4. Toni Elias ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 2m 03.160s
5. Marco Melandri ITA Aprilia Racing RSV4 2m 03.971s
6. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 2m 04.027s
7. Eugene Laverty IRL Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 2m 04.263s
8. Chaz Davies GBR Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 2m 04.343s
9. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 2m 04.433s
10. Jonathan Rea GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 2m 04.514s
11. Leon Haslam GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 2m 05.202s
12. David Salom ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 2m 06.388s (E)
13. Niccolo Canepa ITA Althea Ducati 1199 Panigale R 2m 05.771s (E)
14. Claudio Corti ITA MV Agusta RC F4RR 2m 05.859s
15. Christian Iddon GBR Bimota Alstare BB3 2m 06.012s (E)
16. Leon Camier GBR BMW Italia S1000RR 2m 06.184s (E)
17. Sheridan Morais RSA IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 06.631s (E)
18. Ayrton Badovini ITA Bimota Alstare BB3 2m 06.808s (E)
19. Fabien Foret FRA MAHI Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 07.081s (E)
20. Jeremy Guarnoni FRA MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 07.220s (E)
21. Alessandro Andreozzi ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 07.544s (E)
22. Romain Lanusse FRA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 07.628s (E)
23. Bryan Staring AUS IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R 2m 07.926s (E)
24. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 2m 08.211s
25. Peter Sebestyen HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 2m 10.317s (E)
26. Geoff May USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 2m 10.807s
27. Aaron Yates USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 2m 11.191s