Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto continued to show he’s the fastest man in the Supercross Series thus far, the defending series champion again earning the fastest qualifying time with this one coming at the Oakland Coliseum in advance of tonight’s fourth round of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series.
Villopoto ripped off a 54.178 to earn his choice of gate picks for the first heat race tonight, ending up .340 of a second ahead of series points leader Ryan Dungey. Dungey rode the Red Bull KTM to a best of 54.518.
Third quickest was first session leader James Stewart, the JGR Yamaha rider ending up .720 of a second off Villopoto’s pace.
Geico Honda’s Kevin Windham had his best qualifying effort of the season to grab fifth, besting Stewart’s teammate Davi Millsaps and Los Angeles Supercross winner Chad Reed. Reed was 1.1 seconds slower than Villopoto.
1. Ryan Villopoto (Kawasaki) 54.178
2. Ryan Dungey (KTM) 54.518
3. James Stewart (Yamaha) 54.898
4. Kevin Windham (Honda) 54.921
5. Davi Millsaps (Yamaha) 55.079
6. Chad Reed (Honda) 55.308
7. Justin Brayton (Honda) 55.441
8. Brett Metcalfe (Suzuki) 55.524
9. Andrew Short (Honda) 55.609
10. Kyle Chisholm (Kawasaki) 55.835