INDIANAPOLIS, IN, SEPT. 13 – Belson Derbi’s Pol Esparagaro became the first man to earn pole position in the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix, the young Spaniard putting in the fastest lap of the day in the 125cc GP class today at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Pol lapped the circuit in 1:50.475 to best Ajo Motorsports Derbis Mike di Meglio by .369 of a second. Third on the grid for tomorrow’s Grand Prix will be filled by Stefan Bradl, the young German riding a Grizzly Gas Kiefer Racing Aprilia. Brit Danny Webb will round out the front row, the DeGraaf Grand Prix Aprilia team rider ending up fourth.
The top American in today’s qualifying is the only American regularly competing in the series – Stevie Bonsey. Bonsey rode his DeGraaf Grand Prix Aprilia to 15th with his 1:52.286.
Young American PJ Jacobsen, riding as a wild card entry here at Indy, ended up 28th with a 1:53.209 in his GP racing debut.
1. Pol Esparagaro (Derbi) 1:50.475
2. Mike di Meglio (Derbi) 1:50.814
3. Stefan Bradl (Aprilia) 1:50.878
4. Danny Webb (Aprilia) 1:51.000
5. Andrea Iannone (Aprilia) 1:51.031
6. Nicolas Terol (Aprilia) 1:51.179
7. Simone Corsi (Aprlia) 1:51.211
8. Dominique Aegerter (Derbi) 1:51.260
9. Scott Redding (Aprilia) 1:51.274
10. Sandro Cortese (Aprlia) 1:51.551