Las Vegas, NV (May 3, 2014) – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson grabbed the win in the Western Regional 250 SX championship, however, it was Rockstar Energy Racing’s Jason Anderson that won the title.
Anderson came into the race with an eight-point lead in the title chase over TLD/Lucas Oil Honda’s Cole Seely on the strength of three wins on the year.
However, at the start of the 15-lap final, it was Yamaha/Star Racing/Yamalube’s Cooper Webb with the early lead after taking the holeshot. In the meantime, Anderson started the race near the middle of the pack, crossing the finish line in ninth place at the end of Lap one.
Wilson held down the number-two position until the end of lap seven when he passed Webb for the lead. Webb answered back the following lap to take over the lead. Wilson returned the favor on lap nine and rode to his second victory of the season.
Webb followed in second place and Wilson’s teammate, Justin Hill, who had four top-three finishes this season, rounded out the podium in third place. Anderson finished in sixth place, enough to award him the first championship of his career.
“Everyone that lines up on the starting line gives everything they have to this sport, and to come out on top with the championship means a lot to me,” said Anderson. “This win is for all of my supporters – my team and family. It has not been an easy ride to the top, but we got it done.”
Seely finished the race in fourth and maintained second overall in the final standings just five points behind Anderson. Wilson was third overall another 25 points back.
Western Regional 250SX Class Results
1. Dean Wilson, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Kawasaki
2. Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha
3. Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki
4. Cole Seely, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
5. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda
6. Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., KTM
7. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
8. Shane Mcelrath, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
9. Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda
10. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda