(Left to right) Kevin Strijbos, Clement Desalle, and Aleksandr Tonkov top the podium at Loket.
While Red Bull KTM’s Jeffrey Herlings continued to dominate the MX2 class and clinch the 2013 title at the Czech Republic Grand Prix at Loket, it was Rockstar Energy Suzuki’s Clement Desalle who led the way in MX1 as Herling’s teammate Antonio Cairoli struggled.
Desalle earned his second overall of the season, dominating both motos from start to finish. Following Desalle was teammate Kevin Stribjos (2-4) and Evgeny Bobryshev (5-3), who is coming back from an injury-plagued season.
Finishing fifth overall was usually dominant Cairoli, who went into championship-protection mode after having to recover from mistakes in both motos - stalling out early in moto one and a crash with Jeremy Van Horebeek while fighting for second in moto two. While Desalle was able to eat away at Cairoli’s championship lead, the Red Bull KTM rider still holds a healthy 90-point lead with three rounds left of the season.
Cairoli’s counterpart, Herlings, continued his MX2 domination by winning both motos, the overall, and the 2013 championship. Monster Energy Yamaha’s Christophe Charlier finished second overall with a 4-2 tally. Behind him came J-Tech ESTA Motorsports Racing’s Aleksandr Tonkov, who earned his first ever MX2 podium finish.
Loket Motocross Grand Prix MX1 Overall Results:
1. Clement Desalle (Suzuki) 1-1
2. Kevin Strijbos (Suzuki) 2-4
3. Evgeny Bobryshev (Honda) 5-3
4. Ken de Dycker (KTM) 3-6
5. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 4-7
6. Tommy Searle (Kawasaki) 8-5
7. David Philippaerts (Honda) 6-10
8. Jeremy van Horebeek (Kawasaki) DNF-2
9. Shaun Simpson (Yamaha) 10-8
10. Tanel Leok (KTM) 9-9
Loket Motocross Grand Prix MX2 Overall Results:
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 1-1
2. Christophe Charlier (Yamaha) 4-2
3. Aleksandr Tonkov (Honda) 3-4
4. Alessandro Lupino (Kawasaki) 2-8
5. Jordi Tixier (KTM) 5-5
6. Dylan Ferrandis (Kawasaki) 7-7
7. Jake Nicholls (KTM) 9-6
8. Petar Petrov (Yamaha) 8-10
9. Jose Butron (KTM) DNF-3
10. Romain Febvre (KTM) 12-11