Alex Lowes stays on top after today’s British Superbike qualifying session at Thruxton was rained out. Heavy rainfall made for unsafe conditions at the fast circuit, resulting in the grid positions being decided by the combined free practice sessions’ times.
So it was Lowes’ fast lap on the Samsung Honda in yesterday’s afternoon session that earned him the pole position. Following him in second is Superbike rookie, PJ Jacobsen on the Tyco Suzuki. The young American is happy to be on the front row for tomorrow’s race.
"Me and my Crew Chief Arnie, Phil and Stevie have been working away and I think that everything is going great,” Jacobsen said. “I am lucky for my front row start with the weather being what it is, but I think that starting from the front row is way better for me as it will give me a chance to see what the guys are like up front and perhaps give me a chance to latch on."
Rapid Solicitor Kawasaki’s Shane Byrne keeps yesterday’s third position and Jacobsen’s teammate Josh Brookes rounds out the front row in fourth.
Starting on the second row is a pair of Hondas, with former World Superbike rider,Jakub Smrz on the Padgetts Honda in fifth and Michael Rutter on the Bathams Honda in sixth. Following them is Australian Josh Waters on the Milwaukee Yamaha in seventh and veteran Chris Walker on the Quattro Plant Bournemouth Kawasaki in eighth.
The Buildbase BMW riders John Kirkham and James Westmoreland complete the top-ten.
Fortunately tomorrow’s weather forecast looks much more promising than previously this weekend.
Combined Free Practice Times:
1. Alex Lowes (Samsung Honda) 1m:21.626s
2. PJ Jacobsen (Tyco Suzuki) +0.294s
3. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.378s
4. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +0.602s
5. Jakub Smrz (Padgetts Honda) +1.065s
6. Michael Rutter (Bathams Honda) +1.067s
7. Josh Waters (Milwaukee Yamaha) +1.115s
8. Chris Walker (Quattro Plant Bournemouth Kawasaki) +1.143s
9. Jon Kirkham (Buildbase BMW) +1.297s
10. James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) +1.364s