American Honda/Red Bull/Alpinestars' Ashley Fiolek won the opening moto of the 2008 AMA/WMA Women's National Motocross Championship Presented by Kawasaki at the Honda Hangtown Motocross Classic. The win was Fiolek's first of her professional career.
American Honda/Honda of Houston/Fox Racing Jessica Patterson took the Meterman Holeshot Award aboard her. Fiolek, who was making her professional debut, followed closely in turn one, but hit neutral, and crashed. Patterson, a five-time WMA champion, extended her lead for the next two laps before a slight bobble caused her to stall the bike. Team Green Kawasaki's Tatum Sik capitalized on Patterson's error, followed by Suzuki/Shift's Sarah Whitmore and Zip Ty Racing's Katie McGuire. Fiolek rebounded from her early misfortune to pursue in fifth.
While in the lead, Sik also found trouble on the challenging terrain, and allowed Whitmore and Fiolek to sneak by. Fiolek made the winning pass on lap five and proceeded to pull away over the final three laps of the eight-lap moto to capture the win.
"It feels just awesome. I really can't believe it yet. I can't wait to get back on the track tomorrow," said Fiolek.
Whitmore brought home second, followed by McGuire, while Patterson rebounded for eighth.
The final moto of AMA/WMA Women's National Motocross takes place on Sunday, immediately following the first set of motos of the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship Presented by FMF.
AMA/WMA Women's National Motocross Championship - Moto One
1. Ashley Fiolek, St. Augustine, Fla., Honda
2. Sarah Whitmore, Cheboygan, Mich., Suzuki
3. Katie McGuire, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha
4. Tatum Sik, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Alisa Nix, Ukiah, Calif., Yamaha
6. Mariana Balbi, Brazil, Kawasaki
7. Seyaka Kaneshiro, Torrance, Calif. Suzuki
8. Jessica Patterson, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda
9. Ayla Cabus, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha
10. Tarah Gieger, Vero Beach, Calif., Yamaha