Rookie phenom Ashley Fiolek took her second win of the season on Sunday at round two of the AMA/WMA Women's National Motocross Championship Presented by Kawasaki. The American Honda/Red Bull/Alpinestars rider swept the weekend's motos at the Monster Energy Freestone Motocross National Presented by Yamaha, Kicker Audio, and Berkey's Plumbing.
Fiolek took Saturday's moto after grabbing the Meterman Holeshot Award and showcased one of the greatest races in WMA history with a head-to-head battle with American Honda/Honda of Houston/Fox Racing/Bad Boy Energy Drink's Jessica Patterson, winning by just half a bike length.
In the final moto, it was Fiolek again nabbing the holeshot with Patterson in tow. The two Honda riders resumed their battle until Patterson found trouble and stalled her bike, allowing Suzuki/Shift's Sarah Whitmore to assume the runner-up spot. Fiolek would cruise to sweep the weekend's motos, leading every lap during the 30-plus minutes of racing.
"This is just unreal," said Fiolek. "I never expected to go wire-to-wire in both motos. It's too bad that Jessica (Patterson) had her problems. I enjoyed racing with her. She brought out the best in me. The last thing I expected after two rounds was to be the points leader."
Whitmore maintained her hold on second in the moto to take the runner-up position overall while Team Green Kawasaki's Tatum Sik continued her impressive riding for third in the final moto. Pro Tok/John Burr Kawasaki's Mariana Balbi rounded out the overall podium after a fourth place in moto two.
The AMA/WMA Women's National Motocross Championship Presented by Kawasaki resumes in two weeks at Thunder Valley Motocross Park in Lakewood, Colo. The series is also sponsored by: Honda Rider's Club of America, Dunlop Tires, Alpinestars, The Original Pink Box, Thor MX Gear, Drill Tech Drilling and Shoring, Team Powermadd, Polisport, Bad Boy Turbo Shot and ZLT Racing.
AMA/WMA Women's National Motocross Championship Presented by Kawasaki
Freestone County Raceway -- Wortham, Texas
June 8, 2008
Round 2 of 6
AMA/WMA Women's National Motocross Championship (Moto Finish)
1. Ashley Fiolek, St. Augustine, Fla., Honda, 1-1
2. Sarah Whitmore, Cheboygan, Mich., Suzuki, 3-2
3. Mariana Balbi, Brazil, Kawasaki, 5-4
4. Sherri Cruse, Bakersfield, Calif., Suzuki, 4-6
5. Casuandra Regal, Kemp, Texas, Honda, 8-5
6. Ayla Cabus, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 7-9
7. Alisa Nix, Ukiah, Calif., Yamaha, 10-7
8. Katie McGuire, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha, 9-8
9. Jessica Patterson, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 2-18
10. Tatum Sik, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 22-3
AMA/WMA Women's National Motocross Championship Points
1. Ashley Fiolek, St. Augustine, Fla., Honda, 95
2. Sarah Whitmore, Cheboygan, Mich., Suzuki, 80
3. Jessica Patterson, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 64
4. Mariana Balbi, Brazil, Kawasaki, 61
5. Katie McGuire, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha, 59
6. Alisa Nix, Ukiah, Calif., Yamaha, 56
7. Tatum Sik, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 56
8. Sherri Cruse, Bakersfield, Calif., Suzuki, 48
9. Tarah Gieger, Vero Beach, Calif., Yamaha, 48
10. Ayla Cabus, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 46
For full results, log onto www.wmaracing.com.
Interview opportunities are available to the media by contacting AMA Toyota Motocross Championship media coordinator Brandon Short via email at Media@MXNationals.com or by phone at 951-203-2605.
For more information on the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship, presented by FMF, log on to www.amamotocross.com for live timing and scoring at @theWireLIVE!. Racer X Illustrated will host a new and improved webcast on www.motocross.com, with live racing action hosted by Jason Weigandt. The Racer X Motocross Show on Motocross.com has also been added on Saturday night of each race weekend, featuring practice footage and interviews taken earlier in the day.