MECHANICSVILLE, MD. (June 18, 2011) - Rockstar/Makita Suzuki's Ryan Dungey topped 450 Motocross qualifying Saturday morning for the Budds Creek Motocross National. Dungey tripped the clocks at 2:03.178 in the first session, his time was over a second faster than Ryan Villopoto's 2:04.355 on the Monster Energy Kawasaki. Villopoto's time came in the second session. Mike Alessi was third overall with a 2:04.465 on his Red Bull KTM. Alessi's best came in the first session.
Dungey's time earns him the first gate pick for this afternoon's national.
In 250 Motocross it was Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki's Blake Baggett leading the way with a 2:05.477 turned in the first session. Justin Barcia, who is reportedly suffering a bout of mononucleosis, turned in the second fastest time with a 2:05.896 on the GEICO Honda. To preserve energy Barcia sat out the second session. DNA Shred Stix Yamaha's Kyle Cunningham was third among the 250 riders with a 2:06.328.
"I feel good out there today," Dungey said. "The track is shaping up to be really fun. We made a little bit of adjustments to the bike trying to get it better this week. I feel like we wandered off a little bit there. We're always trying to keep improving.
"The first practice went really well. The second practice we had to make a few changes to get ready for the first moto. Overall I feel great physically, the bike is great, we just have to get a good start and put ourselves up there."
Dungey went on to say that topping qualifying does help with confidence going into today's motos. "It definitely helps," he said. "We're in a good spot, but more important than that is putting those kinds of laps in for 35 minutes. If you can do one it doesn't really mean much, but I physically prepare myself for whatever comes my way and to be able to push the whole moto."
Baggett said the 250 class could boil down to one thing. "Line selections are going to be really important," he claims. "I picked some good lines in qualifying. There really isn't a smooth way around there so you've just got to kind of guess and be able to switch it up."
Budds Creek National Qualifying
1. Ryan Dungey Suzuki RMZ 450 2:03.178
2. Ryan Villopoto Kawasaki KX450F 2:04.355
3. Mike Alessi KTM 450 SX-F 2:04.465
4. Brett Metcalfe Suzuki RMZ 450 2:04.749
5. Chad Reed Honda CRF450R 2:05.186
6. Kevin Windham Honda CRF450R 2:05.334
7. Tommy Hahn Yamaha YZ 450F 2:05.640
8. David Millsaps Yamaha YZ 450F 2:06.293
9. Josh Grant Honda CRF450R 2:06.439
10. Andrew Short KTM 350 SX-F 2:06.794
1. Blake Baggett Kawasaki KX 250F 2:05.477
2. Justin Barcia Honda CRF250R 2:05.896
3. Kyle Cunningham Yamaha YZ 250F 2:06.328
4. Tyla Rattray Kawasaki KX 250F 2:06.336 -
5. Nico Izzi Honda CRF250R 2:06.867
6. Cole Seely Honda CRF250R 2:06.906
7. Martin Davalos Suzuki RMZ 250 2:07.028
8. Broc Tickle Kawasaki KX 250F 2:07.066
9. Eli Tomac Honda CRF250R 2:07.101
10. Dean Wilson Kawasaki KX 250F 2:07.133