Ten Kate Honda's Broc Parkes was fastest in Friday morning's first World Supersport practice session at his home round at Phillip Island, but it didn't look like he would be on top in the afternoon qualifying session. That's because he didn't' get to the top until the very end. That's when Parkes leapt over both PTR Honda's Jules Cluzel and Sam Lowes on his very last lap.
Cluzel, who was sixth in the morning free practice, held on for second in the qualifier, the Frenchman ending up just .032 of a second off Parkes' best of 1:34.532.
Lowes rode his Bogdanka PTR Honda to the third quickest time, the Brit just .200 behind Parkes as Honda CBR600RRs took the top three spots on the opening day of qualifying on the Island.
The first non-Honda was ridden to fourth by Kawasaki Intermoto Step's Fabien Foret, the 2002 World Supersport Champion ending up just a fraction ahead of another Kawasaki ZX-6R - this one ridden by Turk Kenan Sofuoglu, the 2007 World Supersport Champion.
Alex Baldolini rode his Power Team By Suriano Triumph 675 to sixth, the Italian besting Balasz Nemeth, Lucas Pesek, South African Ronan Quarmby and Mathew Scholtz. American Joshua Day ended the first session 16th.
1. Broc Parkes (Honda) 1:34.532
2. Jules Cluzel (Honda) 1:34.558
3. Sam Lowes (Honda) 1:34.564
4. Fabien Foret (Kawasaki) 1:34.791
5. Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki) 1:34.807
6. Alex Baldolini (Triumph) 1:35.013
7. Balasz Nemeth (Honda) 1:35.296
8. Lucas Pesek (Honda) 1:35.526
9. Ronan Quarmby (Honda) 1:35.644
10. Mathew Scholtz (Honda) 1:35.669