2017 BMW K 1600 GTL: FIRST LOOK
The six-cylinder BMW K 1600 GTL will get a host of updates for the 2017 model year, mainly aimed at rider comfort rather than outright performance.
The largest engine in BMW’s range hasn’t received anything major other than to become Euro 4 compliant and still pumps out 160 hp at 7750rpm and a whopping 129 lb-ft of torque at 5250 rpm. BMW has focused its attention on creature comforts like fitting an up and down quickshifter and increased the weather protection via bigger deflectors and trim sections, handlebars that are closer to the rider and the reverse gear that’s now operated by a button on the left switchblock.
There’ll also be three new colors – Light white non-metallic, Thunder grey metallic and K 1600 GTL Elegance: Ebony metallic/Blackstorm metallic.
2016 BMW K 1600 GTL Key Features
- 6-cylinder in-line engine including new catalytic converters and adapted data status according to EU4 requirements, with an output of (160 hp) at 7 750 rpm and a maximum torque of 175 Nm at 5 250 rpm.
- Enhanced visual presence.
- Optimized wind and weather protection due to enlarged slipstream deflectors as well as side trim sections moved further to the rear.
- Relaxed, upright seating posture with handlebars shifted further back (as compared to the K 1600 GT) and lower footrests.
- Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with automatic damping adaptation as standard.
- Reverse assist for even simpler manoeuvrability as an ex works option.
- Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without clutch activation as an ex works option.
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for rapid assistance in an accident or emergency (currently only available in European markets with ConnectedDrive capability).
- New color schemes: Lightwhite non-metallic; Thundergrey metallic; K 1600 GTL Elegance: Ebony metallic/Blackstorm metallic
- Extensive standard equipment (ABS Pro, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, xenon headlamp, grip and seat heating, multi-controller, three riding modes, cruise control, topcase with integrated comfortable backrest.etc.).
- Diverse range of well-established optional equipment items (adaptive turning light, daytime riding light, Keyless Ride, Hill Start Control, central locking, forged wheels etc.).
- New and familiar Original BMW Motorrad Accessories, e.g. comfortable passenger footboards, additional brake light for topcase, HP sports silencer, chrome parts, crash bar etc.
2017 BMW K 1600 GTL First Look
For more BMW motorcycle reviews, click HERE.
For more Cycle News Sport Touring motorcycle reviews, click HERE.