Scott Redding Says No To Isle Of Man TT
Photography by Gold & Goose
Yesterday, following the deaths of Bob Price and Karl Harris at the TT, MotoGP racer Scott Redding voiced his opinion against the Isle of Man TT on his Twitter feed. Today he announced that he would not be taking part in the parade lap that is set to feature the British MotoGP riders this week.
Price was a close family friend of Redding’s, the 65-year-old crashing at Ballaugh Bridget in this year’s Supersport race and passing away.
“I was shocked when I heard the news that Bob had been killed at the TT,” Redding said in a press release. “He was a close family friend and one of the few people outside of my immediate family who supported me when I started out racing. I will miss him, as will many others in our racing family. Bob died doing something that he loved. I know we hear this all the time when tragedy strikes, but in Bob’s case it was definitely true. He was no spring chicken, but a seasoned roads campaigner who knew the risks, like all the riders do, but it’s what he wanted to do. I respect that, as I respect everyone who takes on the challenge of the TT, but it doesn’t make his passing any easier to deal with.
“Then yesterday, we heard the tragic news that Karl Harris had also lost his life. Karl and Bob are both guys that I know and their deaths have hit me harder than I expected. Honestly, I’m devastated.”
Thus, Redding won’t take part in the lap along with fellow MotoGP stars Cal Crutchlow and Bradley Smith.
“And that’s why I won’t be at the TT on Friday, not because I have anything against the Isle of Man TT, but because I prefer to mourn Bob in the places where I knew him best, not the place where he was taken from us. I wish all the competitors on the Island safe racing.”