Photo by Larry Lawrence
Adam Cianciarulo captured his second career victory Saturday in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis in round three of the Eastern Regional 250 Supercross Series. The rookie Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki rider’s victory extended his points lead to five over teammate Martin Davalos. Cianciarulo won the race in spite of crashing.
The Factory Metal Works Honda’s Vince Friese began the 15-lap Eastern Regional 250SX Class Main Event by racing to the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award, with Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Martin Davalos and Cianciarulo in tow. Shortly thereafter Davalos took over the lead while Cianciarulo followed into second. GEICO Honda’s Matt Bisceglia moved into third a short time later. Davalos led the first six laps of the race but crashed, allowing Cianciarulo to move into first and Bisceglia into second. Davalos remounted in third.
Cianciarulo opened a comfortable lead over Bisceglia, which allowed him to maintain the position despite a brief fall on Lap 7. Once back on two wheels, Cianciarulo pulled away again to win by over five seconds.
“I’m definitely happy with my ride, it was more of a smart race for me,” said Cianciarulo. “I knew the whoops would be key because they really deteriorated. I had a couple close calls early on, but was able to keep it close to Martin [Davalos]. He made a mistake and I was able to capitalize on it. I almost gave it back a little bit later, but I got back on the bike quick and kept the lead.”
Davalos recovered from his crash to finish second, while GEICO Honda’s Justin Bogle passed his teammate late to secure his second straight third-place result.
Cianciarulo extended his lead in the 250SX Class Eastern Regional Championship to five points over Davalos. Bogle moved into third, 16 points out of the lead.
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results: Indianapolis
1. Adam Cianciarulo, Port Orange, Fla., Kawasaki
2. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Kawasaki
3. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda
4. Matthew Bisceglia, Weatherford, Texas, Honda
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
6. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda
7. James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
8. Matthew Lemoine, Pilot Point, Texas, Kawasaki
9. Cole Thompson, Brigden, Canada, KTM
10. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Honda
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Season Standings
1. Adam Cianciarulo, Port Orange, Fla., Kawasaki, 72
2. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Kawasaki, 67
3. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda, 56
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki, 54
5. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 48
6. Cole Thompson, Brigden, Canada, KTM, 40
7. James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda, 34
8. Blake Wharton, Beaumont, Texas, Honda, 33
9. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Honda, 33
10. Mitchell Oldenburg, Alvord, Texas, Honda, 30