Aprilia’s Max Biaggi improved his qualifying time by more than a second to top the World Superbike qualifiers heading into this afternoon’s Superpole session in Portimao, Portugal.
The former world champion and current world championship leader lapped the 2.85-mile circuit in 1:42.800 mins. to lead the 23-rider field at the penultimate round of the championship.
Superpole maven Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) was second at 1:42.940 mins. with BMW teammates Marco Melandri and Leon Haslam third and fourth, respectively. Melandri trails Biaggi in the championship 308.5 to 318.
Portimao World Superbike Qualifying:
1. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1:42.800
2. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1:42.940
3. Marco Melandri (BMW) 1:42.997
4. Leon Haslam (BMW) 1:43.278
5. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia) 1:42.283
6. Loris Baz (Kawasaki) 1:43.436
7. Johnny Rea (Honda) 1:43.441
8. Leon Camier (Suzuki) 1:43.536
9. Davide Giugliano (Ducati) 1:43.558
10. Carlos Checa (Ducati) 1:43.568
19. John Hopkins (Suzuki) 1:44.865