ELKHART LAKE, WI, JUNE 2 – Latus Motors Racing Castrol Triumph’s Jason DiSalvo stole the Daytona Sportbike pole with his final lap of Road America on a sunny, breezy day in central Wisconsin.
Until DiSalvo’s hot lap, Y.E.S. Graves Yamaha’s Cameron Beaubier had been on pace to take his first ever DSB pole position. But with his last tour of the 4.05-mile road course, DiSalvo topped Beaubier by .109 of a second. Championship leader Martin Cardenas (GEICO Suzuki) qualified a distant third, at .920 of a second to DiSalvo, on the strength of his Friday qualifying time. Ducshop Racing’s Jake Zemke qualified fourth, as the team struggles with financial problems. Zemke didn’t book his Thursday plane ticket until Wednesday. No decision has been made on whether the team will continue on to the next round at Barber Motorsports Park or beyond.
M4 Suzuki’s Dane Westby was fifth fifth fastest, also from his Friday time, with Tommy Hayden improving to sixth overall on the Y.E.S. Graves Yamaha.
JD Beach (Road Race Factory/Red Bull Yamaha) was slower on Saturday than Friday, qualifying seventh, with LTD Racing’s Huntley Nash (Yam) at the end of row two.
Road America Daytona Sportbike Qualifying:
1. Jason DiSalvo (Triumph) 2:19.373
2. Cameron Beaubier (Yamaha) 2:19.482
3. Martin Cardenas (Suzuki) 2:20.293
4. Jake Zemke (Ducati) 2:20.325
5. Dane Westby (Suzuki) 2:20.852
6. Tommy Hayden (Yamaha) 2:20.936
7. JD Beach (Yamaha) 2:20.993
8. Huntley Nash (Yamaha) 2:21.051
9. Bobby Fong (Yamaha) 2:21.192
10. Jake Gagne (Yamaha) 2:21.665