HOUSTON, TX, MAR. 31 – Ken Roczen claimed his first Lites Class win of the season tonight in Houston’s Reliant Stadium, the Red Bull KTM rider taking advantage of a final-lap mistake by GIECO Honda’s Justin Barcia to do so.
Barcia grabbed the holeshot at the start of the 15-lap final before giving up the lead to an aggressive Roczen on the opening lap. One lap later, however, Barcia re-passed the Red Bull KTM rider to take over the lead.
Roczen pushed Barcia for several laps before Barcia finally pulled away to what looked like would be his sixth win of the season. However, on the final lap Barcia collided with a lapper over a jump and went down, giving Roczen just the opening he needed to take the win.
“This is so awesome,” said Roczen. “This is not how I want to win a race. Justin rode a great race and was really fast tonight, so it is unfortunate that he crashed. I’m super happy to be back on top of the box.”
Barcia remounted to finish second, which leaves him with a 32-point lead over Blake Wharton heading into the next round in New Orleans.
“I don’t know what I can say,” said Barcia. “There is nothing I could do about the crash. I will fight through this and be back in New Orleans.”
Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Results:
1. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
2. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
3. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
4. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
5. Phillip Nicoletti, Cochecton, NY, Honda
6. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda
7. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda
8. Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa, Kawasaki
9. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda
10. Matthew Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki