MILLVILLE, Minn. (July 16, 2011) – Trey Canard has come back with a vengeance. The factory Honda rider, back from a broken leg in his first Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross event of the summer, surprised everyone by topping qualifying for the 450 class at a muddy Spring Creek Motocross. Canard rode his American Honda CRF450R to a time of two minutes, 10.221 seconds on the hilly Minnesota circuit. Ryan Dungey was second on the Rockstar Makita Suzuki, also in the 2:10 bracket with a 2:10.696, followed by series leader Chad Reed with a 2:11.170 on the TwoTwo Motorsports Honda.
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Tyla Rattray led the way in the 250 ranks over Eli Tomac and Dean Wilson. In Women’s Motocross it was Ashley Fiolek edging Jessica Patterson.
Canard, who broke his left femur in a practice crash in April, downplayed his speed on his return.
“It’s one practice and one lap,” Canard said. “I just try not to really worry about it and just focus on the race. One lap doesn’t mean a whole lot, but at this point I’m definitely excited to know that the speed is still there. Now I’ve just got to worry about the motos and try to get through them.”
Canard said his fast lap came when things opened up in front of him.
“I got a good clear track, he said. “I hit the lines pretty well and didn’t make too many mistakes. That’s always been the key to me was to keep it under control and that’s when I go the fastest.”
The track was drying from heavy showers the day before and a light rain this morning. It’s expected to clear and be hot the rest of the day. Canard said the track was tough in the qualifying sessions. He turned his best time in the second session.
“It’s still very sketchy” he said. “It’s not muddy, but mushy and still uncertain. It’s going to rut up and be a really tough track this afternoon.”
Today marks the 450 debut for Canard in the outdoor nationals.
450 combined qualifying
1. Trey Canard Honda CRF450R 2:10.221
2. Ryan Dungey Suzuki RMZ 450 2:10.696
3. Chad Reed Honda CRF450R 2:11.170
4. Mike Alessi KTM 450 SX-F 2:12.482
5. Ryan Villopoto Kawasaki KX450F 2:13.036
6. Brett Metcalfe Suzuki RMZ 450 2:13.335
7. Kevin Windham Honda CRF450R 2:14.026
8. Justin Brayton Yamaha YZ 450F 2:15.162
9. Andrew Short KTM 350 SX-F 2:15.302
10. Tommy Hahn Yamaha YZ 450F 2:15.411
250 combined qualifying
1. Tyla Rattray Kawasaki KX 250F 2:11:310
2. Eli Tomac Honda CRF250R 2:12.019
3. Dean Wilson Kawasaki KX 250F 2:12.429
4. Justin Barcia Honda CRF250R 2:13.501
5. Ryan Sipes Yamaha YZ 250F 2:14.664
6. Broc Tickle Kawasaki KX 250F 2:14.970
7. Martin Davalos Suzuki RMZ 250 2:15.072
8. Blake Baggett Kawasaki KX 250F 2:15.419
9. Malcolm Stewart Suzuki RMZ 250 2:15.567
10. Nico Izzi Honda CRF250R 2:15.964
Women’s MX qualifying
1. Ashley Fiolek Honda CRF250R 2:27.141
2. Jessica Patterson Yamaha YZ 250F 2:27.276
3. Tarah Gieger Honda CRF250R 2:31.813
4. Vicki Golden Kawasaki KX 250F 2:40.394
5. Alexah Pearson KTM 250 SX-F 2:40.851
6. Jacqueline Strong KTM 250 SX-F 2:40.978
7. Kasie Creson Honda CRF250R 2:43.055
8. Marissa Markelon Yamaha YZ 250F 2:44.624
9. Sayaka Kaneshiro Suzuki RMZ 250 2:46.493
10. Lindsey Palmer Honda CR250R 2:47.861