Harley-Davidson Motor Company / Screamin’ Eagle’s Kenny Coolbeth moved to within four points of the championship lead with his second victory of the season, this one coming on Saturday night in the Farley Speedway Half-Mile in Farley, Iowa, round nine of the AMA Ford Quality Checked Flat Track Championship/AMA Grand National Twins Championship.
Coolbeth, who won here last year, led all 25 laps on the rough track to beat Lancaster Screamin’ Eagle Harley-Davidson’s Jared Mees to the line by 2.818 seconds.
Mees passed Tim Eades (H-D)to take over third on the third lap, then moved past Harley-Davidson’s Rich King and into second on the 14th lap.
King held onto third, 1.6 seconds behind Mees, and just less than a second up on defending Grand National Champion Chris Carr. The Quality Checked Certified Pre-Owned Ford Harley-Davidson rider slotted into fourth on the third lap, but couldn’t make inroads on the leaders.
J.R. Schnabel put his Memphis Shades / Yamaha / Parts Unlimited H-D into fifth on the eighth lap and held it to the end. But he was pressured by Screamin’ Eagles/Moroney’s H-D’s Bryan Smith who finished .322 secs. back in sixth.
Coziahr H-D’s Johnny Murphree was a close seventh with Tim Eades slipping to eighth.
Coolbeth’s win, coupled with Mees’ second, tightened up the championship chase. After 12 of 16 rounds, Carr has 123 points to 119 for Coolbeth and 111 for Mees.
1. Ken Coolbeth (Harley-Davidson)
2. Jared Mees (Harley-Davidson)
3. Rich King (Harley-Davidson)
4. Chris Carr (Harley-Davidson)
5. J.R. Schnabel (Harley-Davidson)
6. Bryan Smith (Harley-Davidson)
7. Johnny Murphree (Harley-Davidson)
8. Tim Eades (Harley-Davidson)
9. Jake Johnson (Suzuki)
10. Shaun Russell (Harley-Davidson)
11. Joe Kopp (Harley-Davidson)
12. Paul Lynch (Harley-Davidson)
13. Willie McCoy (Harley-Davidson)
14. Henry Wiles (Aprilia)
15. Logan Myers (Harley-Davidson)
16. Josh Toungett (Harley-Davidson)
17. Steve Murray (Harley-Davidson)
18. John Raun Wood (Harley-Davidson)