Honda’s Kevin Windham won his fourth THQ AMA Supercross Series race of the year last night, this one coming at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Kawasaki’s Ivan Tedesco, meanwhile, won his seventh 125cc THQ AMA Supercross series race.
Yamaha’s Tommy Hofmaster, who finished second in the National Arenacross Series, earned the $1500 Butterfinger Holeshot Award, with Suzuki’s Nick Wey in tow. On the same lap, Hofmaster crashed, allowing Windham to take over the lead. Series leader Chad Reed started mid-pack and worked his way into second place on lap nine, but was unable to catch Windham. Yamaha’s David Vuillemin finished in third.
“That was a great race tonight,” said Windham. “I am going to go into next weekend’s race in Las Vegas with the same attitude and hopefully I can walk away with the championship.”
Heading into Las Vegas next weekend Windham trails Reed by 12 points after Reed was docked 25 points for using illegal fuel at the Dallas round. Yamaha, however, has appealed that decision.
After clinching the THQ AMA 125cc Western Supercross Series championship last weekend in Dallas, Tedesco earned the $1000 Butterfinger Holeshot Award and lead all 15 laps of the main event. Kawasaki’s Stephane Roncada followed his teammate through turn one and held his position from wire to wire, earning his fifth podium of the season.
Yamaha’s Brock Sellards finished third, marking his first podium of the season. Next weekend riders from the Eastern and Western regional 125cc divisions converge in Las Vegas for the Dave Coombs Sr. 125cc East/West Shootout.
“It felt great to wrap up the title last weekend, and come here to ride a race,” said Tedesco. “I am really excited to race against James Stewart next weekend in Las Vegas. Even though I won the title last week, I wanted to come here and dominate.”
125cc SX Results
1. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
2. Stephane Roncada, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Kawasaki
3. Brock Sellards, Sherrodsville, Ohio, Yamaha
4. Joshua Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Yamaha
5. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Honda
6. Joshua Summey, Stanley, N.C., Yamaha
7. Matthieu Lalloz, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
8. Michael Blose, Phoenix, Ariz., Yamaha
9. Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda
10. Darcey Lange, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki
250cc SX Results
1. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha
3. David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
4. Mike LaRocco, Corona, Calif., Honda
5. Sean Hamblin, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
6. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Suzuki
7. Heath Voss, Mico, Texas, Yamaha
8. Michael Byrne, Temecula, Calif., Kawasaki
9. Ryan Cark, Albuquerque, N.M., Yamaha
10. JasonThomas, Melrose, Fla., Honda