Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki rider Josh Hansen (pictured left) was both relieved and elated to not let the 2010 Lites West series come to a close before he could finally catch a break, and notch a win. After getting off to a second-place start behind TLD Lucas Oil Honda's Wil Hahn, Hansen moved into the lead on the second lap and never looked back.
While Hansen celebrated the win, his teammate Jake Weimer celebrated the Western Regional championship. A fifth-place finish was all Weimer needed to claim the title, adding to Pro Circuit Kawasaki's extensive collection of number-one plates.
“I don’t even know what to say about this,” said Weimer (pictured right). “I have so many people behind me that helped me achieve this. The championship is not just for me, it’s for me, my team and my Dad. I want to thank my family and friends as well as the fans for coming out and showing their support.”
Hahn was riding with all heart in Salt Lake City. He separated his shoulder in a practice crash during the week, but it didn't stop the Troy Lee Designs rider from toughing it out in the mud. Hahn grabbed the Spike Holeshot award and led the first lap, and though he would give way to Weimer and GEICO Powersports Honda's Trey Canard, he clung to the final podium position to secure second place in the Western Regional points standings.
A second-place finish at the Lites West finale wasn't much of a consolation prize for Canard, who was a title contender up until the previous round in Seattle.
"I'm not very excited about the championship," Canard admitted. "We had some wins and a lot of podium finishes, I finished all the races; there were some positives. We just didn't achieve our goal of winning the championship.
"You reach a point where you know it's not going to happen for you and it deflates you. So now we'll regroup, run the Shootout next weekend in Las Vegas, and push that much harder when the Motocross season starts."Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: Salt Lake City
1. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
3. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
4. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
5. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
6. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha
7. Phil Nicoletti, Bethel, N.Y., KTM
8. Hunter Hewitt, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
9. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Yamaha
10. Jeff Alessi, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Final Points Standings
1. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 171
2. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 156
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 153
4. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 140
5. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 116
6. Josh Hansen, Elbert Colo., Kawasaki, 100
7. Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda, 100
8. Phillip Nicoletti, Bethel, N.Y., KTM 83
9. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Yamaha, 82
10. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 76