There was at least some hope of a championship battle coming into Indy, but the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship was blown wide open Saturday night in front of 59,872 fans at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Ryan Villopoto captured his sixth victory of the season, even though this one was far from easy.
Meanwhile, his closest remaining rival, James Stewart, crashed hard on his JGRMX/Toyota Yamaha in his heat race. He banged his head, hard enough that he elected to sit out the rest of the program.
The result is that Villopoto leaves Indy in total command of the championship. He's now 69 points up on third-place Stewart (Dungey is still in second in the standings, even though he hasn't raced since two rounds ago and is out for the season), meaning it's very unlikely RV will be caught with just six rounds remaining.
Justin Brayton had as good of a shot at winning this week as he's had all season. The Team Honda Muscle Milk led 10 laps in the middle of the race, but could not hold off Villopoto, who after starting fifth, made a slow, but sure run to the front, taking over from Brayton with five laps to go. Brayton managed to hold on to second, saying he was pleased with leading major portions of the race and scoring his best result of the season.
Finishing third was Davi Millsaps, earning his second straight podium aboard the JGRMX/Toyota Yamaha. The finish moved Millsaps past Kevin Windham for fourth in the standings.
Windham was making a good run through the field when he and early leader Mike Alessi collided. Alessi said his bike's motor suddenly went sour six laps into the race and only got worse, making him somewhat of a moving pylon the rest of the race.
"This was by far the hardest track of the season," said Villopoto. "It was slick out there, and I had to be on my game. It was tough to make passes on this track."
The series moves to Toronto next weekend.
Supercross Class Results: Indianapolis
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
3. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
5. Cole Seeley, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
6. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki
7. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
8. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki
9. Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki
10. Nico Izzi, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki - 246
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM - 192
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha - 177
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha - 151
5. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda - 146
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda - 143
7. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki - 142
8. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki - 134
9. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda - 128
10. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki - 128